UDP Port 53

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Tue Apr 22 15:56:23 CDT 2003

Quoting jose sanchez <j_r_sanchez at yahoo.com>:

> The query is from outside the LAN. I have a laptop
> with AOL and run the host, nslookup programs. I don't
> have a remote box that I can test it with.

Ok, so you're outside the network in question.

Someone suggested dyndns, and I know there are other services out there that
do correctly refer your host to the correct IP instead of using frames with
the IP address.  You just lucked out on one that does it poorly (for multiple
domains at least).

Like I said, many of the domain name registrars will point your domain at an
IP these days, and offer a web form to implement/update this.  I've had
trouble getting it activated a couple of times with namesecure or netstandard
(can't remember which), but once activated it works fine.

One note of caution: RoadRunner is pretty lax about letting you run servers
and refer domains to them as long as you're doing low-traffic personal stuff.
If you start offering web hosting, or serving something that's going to get
significant traffic on multiple domains, they're going to notice.  You should
consider whether you're operating within the service agreement, and if you're
actually running more of a business you should consider switching to a
business account.  Abusing the residential service risks getting all of us who
are running personal servers shut down.