Hacked systems and the law

Brian Densmore DensmoreB at ctbsonline.com
Tue Apr 22 14:53:00 CDT 2003

Ok let look at this from a logical standpoint.
[dusts off symbolic logic college textbook]

Someone walks down the street checking car doors to see if they are
locked.
One door trips an alarm the man walks on.
Another is locked, but the window is open, he reaches in to pull the
lock up
and opens the door, uses a tool to pop out the ignition key and replace
it with a
master lock that takes any key of a certain type, while in there he pops
the door
lock and replaces with the same.

Did the man break and enter? He didn't break anything. The owner of the
car can
still use it. Did he do anything criminal?
All he did was install a tool that makes it possible for him to drive
the car
anytime he wants to.

I think most rational people would say this was a criminal act.
Someone could conceivably break into my system someday. I have warnings
posted whenever
anyone logs in about what is and is not acceptable use of the system. If
someone were
to bypass my security and login they would see this. No system is
entirely secure.

my login screen looks like this:

Legal junk
***
                            NOTICE TO USERS

This computer system is for authorized use only. Users (authorized or
unauthorized) have no explicit or implicit expectation of privacy.

Any or all uses of this system and all files on this system may be
intercepted, monitored, recorded, copied, audited, inspected, and
disclosed to
authorized site and law enforcement personnel.

By using this system, the user consents to such interception,
monitoring,
recording, copying, auditing, inspection, and disclosure at the
discretion of
authorized site.

Unauthorized or improper use of this system may result in administrative
disciplinary action and civil and criminal penalties. By continuing to
use
this system you indicate your awareness of and consent to these terms
and
conditions of use. LOG OFF IMMEDIATELY if you do not agree to the
conditions
stated in this warning.

*****

peace,