Hacked systems and the law

Zscoundrel zscoundrel at kc.rr.com
Tue Apr 22 03:18:54 CDT 2003

L. Adrian Griffis wrote:

>Spam should be treated like littering.  Certainly for individual
>cases, it's not more significant than breaking and entering.
>There's should be a $100 fine for each piece of mail, and the
>penalty should increase as it becomes evident that the
>spammer is trying to hide his identity and/or evade the
>consequences of his act.

I can live with spamming being considered as a minor crime - PROVIDED -
that the "remove me from your spam list" is included in EVERY Email, it
is a one or two click process, and that it actually WORKS CORRECTLY !!!

If the remove process doesn't work, or takes more than 10 seconds to
complete, or more than 24 hours to process, it should be considered
FRAUDand there should be severe penalties.

I would prefer to see a MANDATORY sentence of 10 years in FEDERAL lock
up for the executive officers, the management chain that approved the
spam, and at least 2 years for the administrator of the system involved
in sending the spam.  (I would prefer it to be a capitol crime, but that
may be pushing it just a bit!)