Hacked systems and the law

Dustin Decker dustind at moon-lite.com
Mon Apr 21 14:25:23 CDT 2003

On Mon, 21 Apr 2003, Jonathan Hutchins wrote:

> > Now why is it people are more worked up over spam than "intruders"?
>
> Becasue spam causes real losses and damage, and affects all of us every day,
> while one inadequately secured system getting 'owned' is pretty dull stuff.

Actually, the two can actually go hand in hand.  If I "own" your insecure
box, then I may very well have motive to either serve up a bunch of kiddie
porn on it, or, use it to SPAM the world.

So... we need to be security consious FIRST, and work everything back from
problem to source second.

To answer Bradley's original question - we all see SPAM every day and it's
a high visibility issue.  The "good" (that is to say, highly motivated and
effective) crackers are generally not "seen" until they make a mistake.
D.

--
| Dustin Decker - CNA, MCP          |
| dustin at dustindecker.com       o----------------------------------------o
| Network Engineer              | "He who knows nothing, knows nothing.  |
| Preferred Physicians Group    |  But he who knows he knows nothing     |
o-------------------------------|  knows something.  And he who knows    |
                                |  someone whose friend's wife's brother |
                                |  knows nothing, he knows something.    |
				|  Or some thing like that.              |