ACK! -- CONTINUED

Dustin Decker dustind at moon-lite.com
Mon Apr 21 13:01:53 CDT 2003

On Mon, 21 Apr 2003, Jonathan Hutchins wrote:

> To prosecute someone for trespass, you need to show that you either posted the
> property clearly with "no trespass" signs of some sort, and/or that you told
> the person to leave the property, and they persisted in some activity on your
> property.  Even then your only recourse would be that the police would remove
> them.  If they were uncooperative, the police might charge them with trespass.

This depends on where you live.  If, for instance, you live in Arkansas
you will find that a "no trespassing" sign is of no value.  I'm sure I'm
going to destroy the spelling of "chartruce", but it's a light purple
color a shade or two lighter than lavendar.  If you want the world in that
state to know you don't want folk on your property, you have to paint
markers every six feet around your property with this color.  Fence posts,
trees and such are acceptable.

Apparantly, at one time, the literacy rate in that state was terribly low
- and this is a law that stuck.

I've know idea what the statute in Missouri or Georgia says about this
vis-a-vis computers.  I'm pasting the relevant statute for the state of
Kansas here, whish is 21-3755 which is relatively clear on this sort of
thing.  What _isn't_ clear, in nearly all states, is where the
jurisdiction of such acts would fall.  If someone in California hacks your
site, does damage, and you can prove it... then it's most likely an
interstate crime thing - federal territory.  (IANAL - take my words with a
grain of salt.)

Note sections (b)(1)(A) and (b)(1)(B) in this state.

Chapter 21.--CRIMES AND PUNISHMENTS
PART II.--PROHIBITED CONDUCT
Part 2.--Prohibited Conduct
Article 37.--CRIMES AGAINST PROPERTY

21-3755. Computer crime; computer password disclosure; computer trespass.
(a) As used in this section:

(1) "Access" means to instruct, communicate with, store data in, retrieve
data from or otherwise make use of any resources of a computer, computer
system or computer network.

(2) "Computer" means an electronic device which performs work using
programmed instruction and which has one or more of the capabilities of
storage, logic, arithmetic or communication and includes all input,
output, processing, storage, software or communication facilities which
are connected or related to such a device in a system or network.

(3) "Computer network" means the interconnection of communication lines,
including microwave or other means of electronic communication, with a
computer through remote terminals, or a complex consisting of two or more
interconnected computers.

(4) "Computer program" means a series of instructions or statements in a
form acceptable to a computer which permits the functioning of a computer
system in a manner designed to provide appropriate products from such
computer system.

(5) "Computer software" means computer programs, procedures and associated
documentation concerned with the operation of a computer system.

(6) "Computer system" means a set of related computer equipment or devices
and computer software which may be connected or unconnected.

(7) "Financial instrument" means any check, draft, money order,
certificate of deposit, letter of credit, bill of exchange, credit card,
debit card or marketable security.

(8) "Property" includes, but is not limited to, financial instruments,
information, electronically produced or stored data, supporting
documentation and computer software in either machine or human readable
form.

(9) "Services" includes, but is not limited to, computer time, data
processing and storage functions and other uses of a computer, computer
system or computer network to perform useful work.

(10) "Supporting documentation" includes, but is not limited to, all
documentation used in the construction, classification, implementation,
use or modification of computer software, computer programs or data.

(b) (1) Computer crime is:

(A) Intentionally and without authorization accessing and damaging,
modifying, altering, destroying, copying, disclosing or taking possession
of a computer, computer system, computer network or any other property;

(B) using a computer, computer system, computer network or any other
property for the purpose of devising or executing a scheme or artifice
with the intent to defraud or for the purpose of obtaining money,
property, services or any other thing of value by means of false or
fraudulent pretense or representation; or

(C) intentionally exceeding the limits of authorization and damaging,
modifying, altering, destroying, copying, disclosing or taking possession
of a computer, computer system, computer network or any other property.

(2) Computer crime is a severity level 8, nonperson felony.

(3) In any prosecution for computer crime, it is a defense that the
property or services were appropriated openly and avowedly under a claim
of title made in good faith.

(c) (1) Computer password disclosure is the unauthorized and intentional
disclosure of a number, code, password or other means of access to a
computer or computer network.

(2) Computer password disclosure is a class A nonperson misdemeanor.

(d) Computer trespass is intentionally, and without authorization
accessing or attempting to access any computer, computer system, computer
network or computer software, program, documentation, data or property
contained in any computer, computer system or computer network. Computer
trespass is a class A nonperson misdemeanor.

(e) This section shall be part of and supplemental to the Kansas criminal
code.

History: L. 1985, ch. 108, § 1; L. 1992, ch. 298, § 51; L. 1993, ch. 291,
§ 93; L. 1994, ch. 291, § 34; L. 1997, ch. 66, § 2; July 1.

I generally make references to this statute in my "AUP Banner" within the
state of Kansas.  It states clearly that unauthorized use may indeed be
prosecuted iaw this statute.  YMMV.
D.

--
o-----------------------------------o
| Dustin Decker - CNA, MCP          |
| dustin at dustindecker.com       o-----------------------------------------o
| Network Engineer              | "Those parts of the system that you     |
| Preferred Physicians Group    |  can hit with a hammer (not advised)    |
o-------------------------------|  are called hardware; those program     |
                                |  instructions that you can only         |
                                |  curse at are called software."         |
				|  -- Levitating Trains and Kamikaze Genes|
				|  Technological Literacy for the 1990's  |