Keyboards

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Sun Apr 20 19:14:28 CDT 2003

Quoting admin at kclinux.net:

> If I recall correctly, Microsoft patented the windows keys and the funtions
> they do.  I cant find the article on google, but I do remember reading that
> no one can use that key in the same way as windows uses it (bringing up a
> menu).

Strange, that's just what I've seen it do in some Mandrake installs - not all
three keys (which is my bitch), but the left "Window" key can bring up the KDE
menu.

Sure, easy to bind it to a keycode, or to launch a specific program.
Significantly more difficult to bind it to a function within a subfunction of
the window manager.

Yes, I know it's possible to get it to work, to track down whatever is managing
the keyboard in a given environment and enable something with it.  My point is
that if you're going to offer a configuration that's specific to a 104 key
keyboard, that configuration should do something with those extra keys.  If
not, why specifiy a keyboard at all?  Why not have "Generic 101-104 key US"?