ACK! -- CONTINUED

Dustin Decker dustind at moon-lite.com
Sun Apr 20 14:50:15 CDT 2003

On Sat, 19 Apr 2003, Bradley Miller wrote:

> Actually discovered it purely by accident.  I have one server that is
> bouncing up and down, why I don't know.  I decided to restore my database
> backup onto one of my other servers and start running it as my secondary
> server in the interim.  While there I accidently hit the down arrow to
> recall a previous command, and saw a peculiar instruction.  I looked in the
> bash history file and sure enough, I found the intruder.  They installed a
> "toolz" file to compromise the system and then a "clean me up" script to
> remove all traces of their activity.  Unfortunately for them, and
> fortunately for me, I could see where they were keying the server to
> respond to with all the info.

OK - here's more bad news for you.  I get the impression having the server
co-located like it is you are providing services for down range clients
and the like.  Make sure that when you re-install and all the other
painful stuff, that you communicate with anyone who had usernames and
passwords on the compromised system.

Those passwords (and I would suggest usernames too) can never be used
again.  Your script kiddies undoubtedly have a copy of your passwd file
and the like.

Long story short - it's quite rare to have a root level compromise occur
in which there isn't a great deal of fallout.
D.

--
| Dustin Decker - CNA, MCP          |
| dustin at dustindecker.com       o-------------------------------------o
| Network Engineer              | "And it should be the law: If you   |
| Preferred Physicians Group    |  use the word `paradigm' without    |
o-------------------------------|  knowing what the dictionary says   |
                                |  it means, you go to jail.  No      |
                                |  exceptions."                       |
				|  -- David Jones                     |