Keyboards

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Sun Apr 20 14:21:55 CDT 2003

Ever since they first came out, one of the configuration options during
installation has been to select a 104 Key "Windows" keyboard.  Even today
though, only the latest Mandrake has made any use of the "extra" Windows keys,
ativating the application menu in Xwindows with the left Windows key.  None of
the installations I've seen has an option to make intelligent use of
the "context menu" key, although the logic of this key is consistent with most
Xwindows applications.

Part of this, I think, is because of the strong mouse orientation of most Linux
developers.  Many Linux applications are even worse than Apple apps about
requiring a mouse to perform even basic oeprations, and certainly for any real
functionality.  In this aspect, Microsoft has most of it's competitors beat:
most functions within most MS Windows software can be performed by keyboard
actions, although some may be obscure.  (As an example, you can use Outlook for
mail and access most if not all of it's features without a mouse, but Lotus
Notes requries the mouse for somes essential operations.)

Perhaps it can also be explained by the "anti-Microsoft" attitude of some
developers, who refuse to acknowledge good ideas in Windows so they can claim
their work is pure and not derived or imitative.  This attitude certainly shows
up in recent versions of RedHat which refuse to include MP3 capability,
intefaces for standard Windows video formats, tools to import Windows fonts,
and other petty digs at the Microsoft world.

In any case, I'd just like to say that as long as we're acknowledging the
existance of the Windows keyboard, even if we're referring to it as a 104 key
model with no Windows reference, let's go ahead and USE the features we've been
ignoring for so long.  Let's make that context menu key work properly, and
enable BOTH the left and right Windows keys to do something useful.

(This is where I should insert instructions for doing so, but this is a one-
coffee rant, not a thoroughly though-out article.  I'll post it if I get it
worked out for myself.)