ACK! How to fix a compromised system?

Dustin Decker dustind at moon-lite.com
Sat Apr 19 20:15:44 CDT 2003

On Sat, 19 Apr 2003, Bradley Miller wrote:

> I've got a box that someone put a "toolz" kit on yesterday.  Any ideas on
> how to cleanse the beast?

Well... if you want to be able to really "trust" that host again, you
really need to wipe the drive, install your os, and restore a backup.
Root-kits tend to leave more backdoors in place than imaginable - finding
them all is a pain.

Find out, however, how they got in.  Otherwise, even on a new install,
they'll be back.  :)
D.

--
| Dustin Decker - CNA, MCP          |
| dustin at dustindecker.com       o-------------------------------------o
| Network Engineer              | "They that can give up liberty to   |
| Preferred Physicians Group    |  obtain a little temporary safety   |
o-------------------------------|  deserve neither liberty nor        |
                                |  safety."                           |
                                |  -- Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)   |