Virtual Hosting Problems

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Thu Apr 17 11:09:21 CDT 2003

Quoting Gerald Combs <gerald at ethereal.com>:

> "NameVirtualHost" designates a specific IP address to be used for
> name-based virtual hosts (as the name would imply):
>
>     http://httpd.apache.org/docs/mod/core.html#namevirtualhost
>
> I think the numbers 1000, 1026, etc. in the output of 'httpd -S' refer to
> lines in the configuration file, and not to ports that the server is
> listening to.  The output is confusing in that regard.

Thanks, Gerald. I'm working in the dark here in England without access to my
own servers except through the web (through a proxy server in Switzerland.)

>   - For duplicate entries, e.g. "site.com" and "www.site.com" I only have
>     one config, with "ServerName www.site.com" and "ServerAlias site.com",
>     whereas you have two separate VirtualHost entries.

I didn't catch that he was doing that.  Yes, you do want "ServerAlias" to be in
the same <VirtualHost> block, not a seperate one.

The "_default_" entry hasn't caused me any problems, so I don't think that's it.