Picture mail-merge

Charles Steinkuehler charles at steinkuehler.net
Wed Apr 16 23:21:49 CDT 2003

I need to do a "mail-merge" type process that includes pictures and text
(nametags for the annual neighborhood progressive dinner).

I've used the M$ Word mail-merge features before, but never for
graphics.  I'd prefer to learn how to do this on linux rather than
'doze, but I'm not sure where to start.

The pictures are 640x480 jpeg images.  I need to merge text (name and
address) with the appropriate image, and print the resulting composition
"panelized" on standard 8-1/2 x 11 paper (ie likely 2 nametags wide x 5
high).

What application(s) should I be looking at for this sort of job?  I'm
willing to jump through a few hoops (like make a database of the name /
address / photo combinations) if required.

Bonus points if anyone can tell me how to align the output to standard
Avery pre-perforated labels, but printing to regualr paper and heading
to Kinko's to use the paper cutter is OK too.

I have a nice post-script printer (HP Laserjet 5000) with the network
interface available.  I have not yet tried to print anything from linux,
but as long as I can make a postscript file, I can get it to print out
somehow.

Thanks for any and all pointers, as I'm quite new to desktop linux, and
have had very little need for any utilities of this sort in my history
of managing linux servers.

--
Charles Steinkuehler
charles at steinkuehler.net