Grant and Revoke in mySQL

Chris Wagner ismgr at atchisonkansas.net
Tue Apr 15 21:34:03 CDT 2003

Can someone help me understand these things a bit better?

I'm trying to read through the docs on the mySQL site and it's a bit
more than I'm used to, at least not in plainer English.

Here's a snip that I was reading.

Can someone help me dissect this?

GRANT priv_type [(column_list)] [, priv_type [(column_list)] ...]
What exactly is the column_list, and what should more properly be
inserted here?

ON {tbl_name | * | *.* | db_name.*}
I think I understand this line, granted I have a db and table name to provide.

TO user_name [IDENTIFIED BY [PASSWORD] 'password']
Do I just create a username and password of choice here?

[, user_name [IDENTIFIED BY 'password'] ...]
Assuming I'm filling based on previous line.....

[REQUIRE
NONE |
[{SSL| X509}]
Have no idea what to think here other than it's a line to declare
that there's nothing required to authenticate the user other than the
GRANT statement?

[CIPHER cipher [AND]]
When I was in school, if memory serves, the word cipher was a
reference to some type of encryption. Is this something I need to
mess with?

[ISSUER issuer [AND]]
[SUBJECT subject]]
[WITH [GRANT OPTION | MAX_QUERIES_PER_HOUR # |
MAX_UPDATES_PER_HOUR # |
MAX_CONNECTIONS_PER_HOUR #]]
Have no idea what I would need to input on this type of entry.

REVOKE priv_type [(column_list)] [, priv_type [(column_list)] ...]
ON {tbl_name | * | *.* | db_name.*}
FROM user_name [, user_name ...]
So is REVOKE strictly to prohibit users?

Thanks,

Chris