From across the pond

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Tue Apr 15 09:07:18 CDT 2003

Quoting Brian Densmore <DensmoreB at ctbsonline.com>:

> Also, I'm curious about everyone having trouble with the keyboards.
> I didn't have any trouble with the keyboards in London or in Ukraine.

Well, here's an example:  The keyboard layout is such that Shift-2 is supposed
to produce the double-quote(") instead of the "at" sign (@). When working in
native applications, this is what it does.  However, on this web mail
interface, because I've selected US English, it produces the @ sigh as
expected.  When logging in to NT, passwords and usernames are mapped to keyscan
codes, not displayed characters, so if your password contained "@", you would
hit the key labeled """.  Got that?

(This iss assuming that everything re-maps correctly when I post this.