Things are different here...

Don Erickson derick at shark.zeni.net
Sat Apr 12 04:29:10 CDT 2003

In article <E94FF01DFF6CD31186F4080009DC361509F7B0BF at NTTWR2> you write:

>I thought on a lot of Central and Eastern European keyboards it was just
>GreyAlt-Q?  At least that's worked from the places I've tried it.

Hmmm.  GreyAlt-Q eh?  That sounds intuituve (suuure it does), but when
you've dropped your 17 swiss francs for three minutes connect time at an
internet kiosk in the Zurich airport (approx USdollar value: $42) and the
seconds are counting down, 13....12.....11....10.....  somehow "GreyAlt-Q"
isn't the first thing that comes to mind.

Nor the seventeenth.

I did managed to copy and paste a "@" using the german trackball mouse
thingy, I think.  I did get the email sent, but many of the letters were
wrong, as the keyboard was very screwed up.  German instructions would be
much easier to understand if they'd shorten most of the words.  Maybe I
should file a bug report.

>If push comes to shove and it is a Windows machine ALT+0064 typed on the
>number keys works most of the time since '@ is Unicode character 0x0040.
>Its a dumb way to remember it, but Unicode is twice as bit-wide as ASCII and
>a 64-bit machine is twice as bit-wide as mine, so I just dream of 64-bits
>when sending email on a strange keyboard.  Hey, I said it was dumb.

I have no recollection what the OS might have been, but I do recall that
AOL was a prominently featured for email access option.  This did not fill
me with confidence.

Still, I'll keep the ATL+0064 in mind.

Regards,

-Don