snagging a domain name

A Duston hald at sound.net
Sat Apr 12 02:22:27 CDT 2003

Jason Clinton wrote:

> Kurt Kessler wrote:
> > that anyone is using it in any way. so is there a
> > LEGAL way to snag this up?
>
> If you own the trademark for XYZ then it follows that XYZ belongs to
> you; you only need ask for it. That's the only way. There is (IIRC) a
> domain dispute process through INAN/ICANN but I don't know what the
> criteria for that is.

Of course if the current domain holder _also_ owns the trademark for XYZ,
then it's more complicated.  Literally hundreds of people/companies can
own a trademark for the same word.

Apple Computer can't get into the music distribution business without some
arrangement with Apple Music who already had a trademark on the world Apple.

Time Warner tried to get roadrunner.net from a local ISP in Arizona by
saying they were the exlusive owners of the word roadrunner.  That
didn't fly to well in Arizona where they are as many roadrunner this or
that as there are sunflower this or that in Kansas, or Show-me this or
that in Missouri.  I think they may have ended up buying it as the
strong-arm legal tactics didn't avail them.

--
Hal