Preview Pane: (Was Re: wri adult supersite ocdjygnex)

Matt G linux at bizniche.com
Thu Apr 10 16:16:55 CDT 2003

I think there are several reasons to turn off the preview pane.

First, you get to skip all the incredibly distasteful images that comes
through.  I can't imagine getting one of those emails while my 2 yr. old is
sitting on my lap playing the Elmo website game.  Sheesh.

Second, I work at an Ad Agency (for the next 6 weeks anyway, until I move to
KC to get a _real_ job.)  We do a lot of email marketing and generate all
sorts of reports.  One of the reports that we get is the number of  "Opens."
If a user opens an email that we send, it registers.  I can go back into our
email system, look up a user, and see if they opened the message  (and
whatever else they did.)

So, we've all been warned that we shouldn't click on any links in
spam...even to try and unsubscribe as it just help them validate your email
addy.    Even opening the email does exactly the same thing.  In our system,
as soon as someone opens an email (even in the preview pane) I know that
their addy is valid, and it's kept as valid for future use.

So, I do 2 things to protect myself.  First, never leave the preview pane
turned on. Second, I turn off all images.  Sometimes, the images are the
things that send the stats back to the email systems.  If I want to see
images from an email, I can usually right click and choose "Show images" or
whatever.

My two cents,
Matt