Never ceases to amaze

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Thu Apr 10 09:48:20 CDT 2003

Quoting pthurmond at kc.rr.com:

>        As for installing CDRW drives on Windows 98 or later, I don't
> know what you were smoking when you put it together I have never had a
> problem with swapping any IDE drives around on Windows, that includes
> CDRW and DVD.

Well gee, you could stand to learn something from somebody who has had
problems.  The fact you haven't seen them indicates more about your experience
than about whether the problems are real dude.

>If Roxio is your problem thats a completely different
> ballpark. We are talking about Windows vs. Linux, not Roxio versus
> linux.

Not really.  Since burning CD's is not the province of the OS, but of
applications which must access the hardware through the OS, and since the
software withing Linux works while the leading software in Windows doesn't, I
assert that it's relevant.

There are plenty of patches for Roxio 6, which is still trashing hard drives.
Patches don't help much if the initial install makes your system unbootable.

My own problems are with Roxio 5, to which I have applied all available
patches, which appear to have made the software worse in general.

In this instance, bitching about Roxio is a matter of asserting that something
that "just works (tm)" in Linux is something you pay $80 extra for in Windows -
 and it still doesn't work.  Roxio is a prime example of why closed source
sucks.

--
 Jonathan
 Live from Andover, England