Never ceases to amaze

pthurmond at kc.rr.com pthurmond at kc.rr.com
Tue Apr 8 21:53:00 CDT 2003

       Well my component swapping experience has not been so fair with
Linux. However to level the playing field a bit lets start comparing
the most recent copies of both Windows and Linux. I am sorry but trying
to compare 98 to current day Linux is going to leave Windows at an
Obvious disadvantage.
       As for installing CDRW drives on Windows 98 or later, I don't
know what you were smoking when you put it together I have never had a
problem with swapping any IDE drives around on Windows, that includes
CDRW and DVD. If Roxio is your problem thats a completely different
ballpark. We are talking about Windows vs. Linux, not Roxio versus
linux.
       As for Roxio 6, I haven't played with it yet, but its always
best to let it exist a few months and get its first updates before you
get the product.

On 04-08-2003 12:34 pm, Jonathan Hutchins <hutchins at tarcanfel.org>
wrote:

> I have a P III 450 here running W98 that is responsible for grabbing
the
> pictures off of the digital camera - other than that, it runs SETI.
It would
> be running a web cam, but the W98 video drivers go offline if the
screensaver
> comes up.
>
> I've been thinking of throwing the AMD 900 motherboard that's down in
the
> basement in there, but I don't have any idea what make or model the
motherboard
> is, I have no specs and no drivers for it.  If I swap motherboards on
a "live"
> W98 installation, it's going to have fits about the drivers, and it's
unlikely
> I'd ever get it running right even if I did a clean installation.
>
> Linux, on the other hand, would be easy.  Set it to boot a generic
kernel if
> I'd customised, swap boards, and boot.
>
> On CD drives:  Yes, Windows has no trouble with swapping CD drives.
CD-R/RW is

majordomo at kclug.org