Never ceases to amaze

Jim Herrmann kclug at ItDepends.com
Tue Apr 8 05:40:37 CDT 2003

It never ceases to amaze me when I put in a new piece of hardware and
boot linux.  At least, when I replace a piece of hardware.  No drivers
to install, no hassle, no reboot two times to unistall the old hardware
and twice more to install the new.  It's times like these that I really
feel justified in tumbing my nose at the winblows die hards.  This is
plug and play baby!

My CD-RW has been acting flakey for about a month now, and it was
getting worse.  So, I went down to Best Buy and got one of those
$20-after-rebate burners.  I came home, shutdown, took out my old one,
stuck in my new one, booted up, fired up CD-bake oven, and burned an
ISO.  No muss, no fuss.  Is this a great OS or what?!

BTW, if you go buy one of those $20 burners, be very careful on the
rebate forms.  There are two of them, clearly designed to confuse, so
that if you muck it up, you don't get your $50 bucks back.  Just a
warning.  I was being very careful, and almost stuck the original UPC in
the wrong envelope.  Doh!  I caught it in time, but I was thinking how
easy it would be for an ever so slightly less attentive person, myself
included, to screw this one up.  I think I have it right now.  I should
probably check one more time before I seal the envelopes.

Anyway, thanks for listening to my glow.  :-)

Peace,
Jim Herrmann