[Exim] Special routing for AOL (gettin' jerked around by Time-Warner)

JD Runyan jrunyan.lists at dms.nwcg.gov
Mon Apr 7 17:59:47 CDT 2003

On Monday 07 April 2003 12:40, Hanasaki JiJi wrote:
> However, it gets worse.  My little server is dual-homed, for
> redundancy (because neither the DSL nor the cablemodem are
> especially reliable).  I have both a T-W Roadrunner cablemodem
> (with dynamic IP) and DSL (with static IP).  The default route
> out to the 'net is whichever line has been up the longest.
> (I have scripts running to test & adjust my routing tables
> and DNS when either other service goes down.)

You may be making things more complicated than you must.  I would configure a
local smtp server that binds to the static ip.  Then create an MX record for
that IP somewhere, and have the smtp server use the name in the MX record.
It then should be able to talk to any server on the net freely.  It can route
mail to TW or AOL.  Lock the SMTP server down to only route mail for your
local network.  You may have to have it listen on a private IP and the static
for this to work for all your hosts.

--
A new dramatist of the absurd
Has a voice that will shortly be heard.