Hello all.. New Member... Advice?

Dan at PlayerGroup.org dan at playergroup.org
Sat Apr 5 22:34:59 CST 2003

( i accidentally mailed this with the wrong title... sorry )

Hello All...

I am new to the KCLUG mailing list and looking forward to attending my
first meeting this month.

I had a few questions for the list...

About me: I am a 23 year old who went to culinary school and worked in
the restaraunt industry in Chicago before deciding I was more interested
in Computers recently.. I have been "using" linux for about 6 months now
and i love it. I despise the "non-tinker" enviroment of windows and
absolutely love messing with my OS. I prefer slackware (server) and
Mandrake (workstation).

Anyhow, I am just now starting a CompTIA Linux+ certification training
program and Intend on finishing up my Associates at JCCC this summer and
Fall. I have pretty good experience with PHP (8+ months.. done some
professional work), am relatively familiar with Python, can read Perl,
and am learning C++.

My Goal is to become a professional *nix programmer and eventually to
contribute to the OpenSource movement.

However, since I am relatively new to C++ and have a lot of classes to
take yet and experience, I figured it would be easier to get a foot in
the door as a Junior SysAdmin or somesuch and that way apply knowledge i
already have.

My Questions:

1) is the CompTIA Linux+ worth anything in your professional opinion? I
opted for it because of its' platform independant format.

2) how realistic is the chance of getting a "foot in the door" working
with linux/unix systems? what are the prereqs i should reasonably have?
and here i am talking even getting in as an assistant/etc.

Thanks for replies and hope to see you all at the next meeting..

Dan Ostrowski