Blame it all on the firewall!

Dustin Decker dustind at moon-lite.com
Fri Apr 4 19:39:37 CST 2003

On Fri, 4 Apr 2003, Jason Clinton wrote:
> Okay, you're confused.
>
> Filtered is when a firewall is actively prohibiting anything from going
> through a port.
>
> Closed just means that nothing was bound to that port to accept connections.
>
> Filtered is better than closed.

Well.. that's a purely subjective statement.  It all depends on whether I
want the firewall to behave as though nothing is bound at all (i.e. when I
only want a particular IP to be allowed to connect to a port, and play
dead for all others), or if I feel like actually responding with an ICMP
error indicating connection is prohibited, or whatever.  Some times, I
just want to drop the packet entirely, no response whatsoever, whether
a socket is bound or not.

NMAP (and other scanners) is/are quite crafty when intelligence is in the
drivers seat.  Running with different flags and observing behavior can
help one determine the actual ruleset on the firewall.  Not generally a
big deal really - but then again, we're talking about intelligence here...
secrets, lies and deception are at play.  So... I might want to lie to
anyone taking a look.

"Filtered" and "closed" as a result, both have their place.
D.

--
| Dustin Decker - CNA, MCP          |
| dustin at dustindecker.com       o--------------------------------------o
| Network Engineer              | "It is the eternal folly of man.     |
| Preferred Physicians Group    |  To be chasing after the sweet flesh,|
o-------------------------------|  without realizing that it is simply |
                                |  a pretty cover for bones."          |