Blame it all on the firewall!

Kevin Hodle kevinh at aos5.com
Fri Apr 4 18:28:51 CST 2003

Actually, the blocking of inbound ports should have no effect on
outbound connections whatsoever.

Assuming he has no servers running that he wants the outside world to
access, a good stateful inspection ruleset would look something like
this:
(in psuedo/fw speak)

 pass ip from me to any setup
 pass ip from any to me established
 drop ip from any to me (explicit deny)

.. Note that this would block incoming icmp stuff that was not already
established by the host (ie, outbound pings would work, but incoming
echo requests, redirects, and all other icmp types would be dropped)

Kevin Hodle
CCNA, Network+, A+
Alexander Open Systems
Network Operations Center