new to linux

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Fri Apr 4 16:52:54 CST 2003

On Thu, 2003-04-03 at 20:10, jason wrote:

> I have been a windows person and technician for years and would like
> some advice as to where to go to get started on the track to learning
> about linux.  I have built a new system and am ready to put an os on
> it, but not sure where to start.  Thanks

First, please post to the list in plain text, not HTML or RTF.  (Your
message came through on one of my readers in 4pt type.)

I would suggest a book like O'Reilly's "Running Linux" as a starter and
reference, or one of the big $50 "Bible" or "Complete" books if you feel
that you need more of a reference than a tutorial.  Those books often
come with a CD distribution, but there have been a lot of updates
recently so it's unlikely to be current.