Knoppix

Parker, Ron rdparker at butlermfg.com
Tue Apr 1 18:58:16 CST 2003

The only thing you might need to change is the "boot from CD-ROM" option in
their CMOS settings.  If this is not set, it won't boot.

It isn't the fastest thing loading everything from CD.  It is obviously
better with a 50x drive than a 4x one.  You better have a bit of memory
available since the only writable file system is RAMdisk.

If you are a KDE fan it is gorgeous.  There are holes in its English,
especially if you choose to install it to the HD and boot from there.  Some
things will come up "auf Deutsch" for new users by default, but that is easy
enough to fix.

It does makes a very nice emergency disk and is also a good way to be able
to test out hardware compatibility before buying.

On one of my machines at home all kernel 2.2.x systems seem to work OTB with
my network card and all 2.4.x systems install the wrong module, tulip
instead of de4x5, but Knoppix gets this right.  It has the best hardware
detection I have seen.