Install Floppy

Dave Parker dlparker at dlpinc.com
Sat Aug 5 16:37:44 CDT 2000

I've always used dd.  Sometimes the blocksize SEEMS to make a
difference in whether or not the diskette will boot, but I've
not yet detected any pattern to this, so it may just be my
imagination.  I'd just use:

dd if=disk.img of=/dev/fd0

where disk.img is the name of the file you want to write to
the floppy and /dev/fd0 is the device you want to write to.
If you set blocksize = to 18k, it will write 80 18k blocks

dd if=disk.img of=/dev/fd0 bs=18k

but I'd try the first command first.  Block size (as well as
interleave) can make a big difference in how fast you can
read and write from the disk, but obviously with a boot disk
the main thing is that you want it to boot.

--
Dave Parker/DLP, Inc.    dlparker at dlpinc.com    www.dlpinc.com