From: Adam J. Richter (adam@netcom.com)
Date: 12/01/92

From: adam@netcom.com (Adam J. Richter)
Subject: Frequently Asked Questions on Linux/GNU/X OS CDROM from Yggdrasil
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 1992 06:00:44 GMT

                                        Yggdrasil Computing, Incorporated
                                        (510) 526-7531, fax: (510) 528-8508
                                        PO Box 8418
                                        Berkeley CA 94707-8418

                Frequently asked questions about the
          Yggdrasil Linux/GNU/X unix clone for PC's on CDROM

Table of Contents:

1. I want to resell the alpha release CDROM. Are quantity discounts
   available?
2. What should I do if I'm interested in selling support for the
   Linux/GNU/X CDROM's?
3. Do you take credit cards?
4. How about international orders?
5. Is there an anonymous FTP area for information from Yggdrasil?
6. How can I copy data from my DOS disks?
7. Does the alpha release CDROM support TCP/IP?
8. Can you sell me a CDROM drive and/or a SCSI controller?

1. I want to resell the alpha release CDROM. Are quantity discounts
available?

        Yes. You can buy the alpha release alone or the beta release
alone (when it comes out) according to the "schedule 2" discounts for
the production releases.

        single order single order unit
          quantity quantity price
                               (linux developer) (US$)
              10 2 50
             100 20 25
           1,000 200 14
          10,000 2,000 9

                       (FOB Albany, California)

        Anyone may use schedule 2. Under this plan, buyers prepay and
forgo all return privileges (except for replacement of bad media) in
exchange for deep quantity discounts. Linux developers who have
contact with the end users of the CD's that they are purchasing can
get a quantity discount corresponding to five times the quantity that
they order. For the purposes of this discount, you are a linux
developer if you use linux daily and you wrote any documentation or
software that is on the CDROM. The extra "linux developer" discount
exists to promote contact between knowledgeable linux developers and
less experienced users. Resellers are not permitted to simply use a
linux developer as a conduit for their purchases.

        Schedule 1, by the way, provides shallower discounts for
bookstores, computer stores, software stores and newsstands that
require credit return privileges or, in some cases, even cash return
privileges for the merchandise that they don't sell. Schedule 1 will
not be available for the alpha or beta releases.

        If you are a reseller holding a substantial inventory of
Yggdrasil merchandise, we will attempt to contact you before finalizing
any plans for price changes, although there are no pending price
changes at this time.

        As always, the alpha release is available in single quantities
in the form of a subscription consisting of the alpha release, the
beta release and the first production release for a total price of
$99, plus $5 for handling and shipping to anywhere in the United
States or Canada.

2. What should I do if I'm interested in selling support for the
   Linux/GNU/X CDROM's?

        If you send me information about yourself or your company, I
will include it in the beta manual. You can send me up to a full page
of ASCII text or a page of postscript. If you respond today (Monday
11/30/92), you may be able to catch me before I print alpha manual, in
which case I will include your information in that manual too. For
the production releases, I intend to list contact information for
support vendors. I'm thinking of also having an advertising section
for support vendors.

3. Do you take credit cards?

        Not yet.

4. How about international orders?

        If you're in Canada, you can order with same shipping charge
as US orders. Just make sure your check is payable in US funds.
Checks other international orders, as soon as I can accept such
orders, will have to be drawn on a US bank.

        I am working on export control issues for the alpha CDROM's.
International shipping costs for the three separate shipments for the
alpha, beta and 1st production releases are substantially more than
for US and Canadian orders, by the way. If you or your company is
interested in distributing the Yggdrasil CDROM's in your country, I'd
like to hear from you.

5. Is there an anonymous FTP area for information from Yggdrasil?

        There is now. You can get Yggdrasil-related information by
anonymous FTP from netcom.com:~ftp/pub/yggdrasil.

6. How can I copy data from my DOS disks?

        In the original announcement, I forgot to mention that the
Linux kernel can mount a DOS file system, just like any other Linux
file system, except that its file system type is "msdos". For
example, if you wanted to mount the first floppy disk on /mnt, you'd
log in as root and type:

                mount -t msdos /dev/fd0 /mnt

        If you wanted to mount the first partition of the second disk
drive on /mnt, the command would be:

                mount -t msdos /dev/hdb1 /mnt

        You can unmount the filesystem from /mnt when you're done with
umount:

                umount /mnt

7. Does the alpha release CDROM support TCP/IP?

        The kernel that comes with the alpha CDROM is configured to
support TCP/IP, but the only ethernet cards that it currently supports
are the Western Digital WD 8003 and 8013 cards and I don't have the
hardware to try it. The only networking user programs that the alpha
CDROM includes are FTP and X windows, although I suppose that might be
able to use FTP to upload other networking user programs.

        There is an NFS implementation ftpable from the ALPHA
subdirectory of tsx-11.mit.edu, and there is also a SLIP
implementation that you can read about by subscribing to the SLIP
channel, which you can do by sending mail to
linux-activists-requests@niksula.hut.fi.

        I plan to include most of this software on the beta release
and all of it on the 1st production release.

8. Can you sell me a CDROM drive and/or a SCSI controller?

        I'm looking at reselling a CDROM drive and a SCSI controller,
but first I want to actually install and run a copy of the alpha CDROM
with the particular drive/controller combination that I'd like to sell.
If you have any preferences about what SCSI controller or SCSI CDROM
drive I should resell, let me know.

--
Adam J. Richter                         Yggdrasil Computing, Incorporated
409 Evelyn Avenue, Apt. 312             PO Box 8418